My favorite reality TV show is The Amazing Race. Pre-teens and teens will enjoy an adventurous birthday party based on this show. However, it is also an ambitious theme that takes some good organization and planning. Here are some tips on how to approach an Amazing Race birthday party and make it a bit more do-able.
And if this is not quite what you are looking for, never fear! Check out our Big List of Birthday Party Ideas for more great kid party plans!
First, invite enough guests to be able to sub-divide them into groups of three or four. You can decide the groups based on the kids’ order of arrival at the party. The first three or four kids can be team #1 and will be the first to leave on the race, the next three or four can be team #2, and so on. It may be a good idea to have an adult supervisor with each of the teams who has a cell phone on hand in case the kids need help.
This is clearly going to be an out-and-about party, and planning the race location is key. If you live in a place where the kids can race around a town center safely, that would be one good party area. If not, have the kids race around a mall or your neighborhood.
Here are some other things you will need to give advance consideration for this party:
- The routes the teams will take to complete the race
- Various activities that will be done at each locale
- What the clues will be, and roadblock and detour challenges
- If money will be needed to complete the activities
- Which (if any) stores the kids will visit (be sure speak with each store’s manager about your party activities)
- How many adult helpers you will need to have one at each race location.